First piece of homework for the adv. dip. I was lazy in the Cert II and didn’t make the snowman. Well this time there was no getting out of it *slaps self on wrist*
I tried not to get caught up in details like I usually do so it’s mostly made out of primitives and thrown together quick. But then I spent the next 3 hours playing with camera and render settings to learn more about them. OOPS oh well I tried!
The snow was REALLY blue from the sky but turning off the reflection casting on the sky dome left the snow grey scale. So after mucking around with lighting for a while I gave up and then corrected the blueness slightly in Gimp.
I had the same problem with the skydome reflections in my junkyard enviro. Maybe there’s some way to do colour correction in Maya that I haven’t worked out yet.
So this weekend I played around trying to learn how to create realistic grass, with the end goal of rendering a realistic looking forest scene.
Here’s the grass!
I’m pretty happy with the results for the most part. There’s 5 different types of grass:
- Dead ground cover
- Short grass
- Slightly taller short grass
- Medium length grass
- Tall grass
It has been really hard but I’ve learnt a few things like how to use paintfx better, how to use an instancer to replace particles with objects (handy!) and how to use camera lenses.
I’ll save my grass assets so I can use them in future projects (yay time savers). Hopefully soon I’ll have a library of plant life I can use on my projects any time but classes start on Tuesday! I’m doing the Adv.Dip in Game Art online, starting with 3D Art Pipeline and Storyboard Pre-Production. Hopefully I’ll see some cert II people there 🙂
So after working on texturing some more assets and making my brick wall I wanted to just play around to see how things would look together in a scene, this is the result. The ground plane and skydome are just placeholders, I’ll be making them better, hopefully getting a silhouette of an urban/industrial skyline on the skydome.
If I have time I’ll also adjust the wall model so the top follows the shape of the bricks rather than just being a straight edge.
Had some fun with soft selection and a plane after class today. Here is my first junk pile. I’ll create a couple more with different shapes and textures and all of them will have some random assets like tyres, beat up oil drums, an old wooden stool and some rusty metal sheets placed randomly on them to make them look better. The piles will be seen in the background I think every shot of my animation.
I’ll have to stop procrastinating now and start work on a ruined brick wall, a street lamp and my sky dome.
Here’s a quick tyre I made today. It will only be viewed at a distance as part of my junk piles so didn’t need to be detailed. Still need to make a few more random objects to throw on the piles to make them look better.
Here are the first two assets I’ve modeled for my environment:
Meet Krunk! He is the main character in the short animation I’m doing for my art course.
I started by just scribbling out some robot ideas and then chose the one I liked best. Here are the orthographic images and the final coloured concept image for my design:
When it came to modelling him, I had to make some minor changes. If I’d done orthographics from the top and back I would have noticed that what I had drawn in the front and side images, doesn’t quite work in 3D reality.
Also I decided to make his neck straight as I found it pretty much impossible at my skill level to get it exactly how I wanted it in the time I had to finish the modelling in.
Overall the model came out very similar to the concept:
The colours aren’t the same on the final render of the model compared to the final concept image. I’m still considering changing the colours further but for now this is Krunk!